Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A new collage...

This week is the 1st week of Lent and the assistant pastor has ask different people in the church to create a piece of art that represents the chosen Bible text for that week, so I went first (because I am so shy you know?lol) my Bible verses were Matthew 26:36-46....this is when Jesus went to the Garden of Gethsemane...so this is my interpretation of that scripture.
The canvas is 18"x24"...I used Perfect Paper for texture and then did layers of color using Golden Glazes... I had printed transparencies of the images that I wanted to use, and I trimmed them to fit in the areas that I had chosen...I applied more Perfect Paper around the edges of the transparencies so that it didn't look like I had just "glued" them on...I wanted their to be areas of texture and areas of smoothness...I used some glaze over the transparencies...then I used a Qtip to remove some of the glaze so it made more dramatic high lights...after applying 3 lays of glaze, I wrote the quotes from Jesus prayers on top of the last layer and then I then added the leaves and flowers for a real 3-D garden effect...I think it turned out pretty well. A lot of people at church liked it...:)

2 comments:

BellaLunaArts said...

Hi There, I happened upon your beautiful work here via the red artist cottage. I just love this piece, and your work. I do mixed media collage, steampunk jewelry, and all sorts of other crazy stuff :)I was also part of the OWOH event to, but didn't get around to everyone, so every now and then I'll find someone new. Thanks for sharing your lovely work!Happy to have happened upon you. Peace, Bridgette

Val Foster said...

Hi Linda. Wow, this piece is beautiful, awesome, glorious. I totally love it, just wish I could see it close up. I have some of that Perfect Paper stuff, it's neat media, especially for great texture!

Great new website, you and Christy did a great job. Congrats to both of you.